August 1st 2016 – my 26th birthday…
SHOP THE LOOK AT THE END OF THE POST
Photos: Rachel Pronk
So here I am, another year older and – as the cliche would say – a little wiser. As I bid adieu to 25 and welcome my 26th year life, I thought I would take a little time to reflect, and share with you 25 things that I learned while I was 25…
- Good things can and will happen to you, and you don’t need to feel like you owe anyone for it.
- Anxiety does weird things to you. Not only does your mind run wild, it makes you short of breath, incredibly sweaty and plays funny buggers with your stomach (not fun).
- Alone time isn’t actually lonely, it is a great time to just be (and laugh at your choice to wear knickers, fluffy socks and a face mask, while your drink wine and watch Arrested Development).
- Zucchini is surprisingly delicious in a stir fry… and most Asian cuisine
- Meat is best left to Kevin to cook… unless you fancy old boot for dinner?
- Far too many people get weirdly awkward when you mention sex or anything to do with reproductive organs… and I am always the one to make them feel awkward because I have no qualms in talking openly about the awkward things (often at what people think are inappropriate times)
- Despite working in an industry in which highly glamourised images and lives are desirable, I really want to try and keep things real (and to see others keep things real). You are welcome for all of the ugly snapchats guys!
- People can be incredibly cruel and judgemental, but standing your ground and following your beliefs in the face of their criticism is the best feeling ever.
- Swimming in the rain is just as fun as I always thought it would be… until it starts thundering.
- Friends come and go for a reason, and the ones that stick around are the ones that grow and change with you
- Nothing ever goes exactly to plan
- There is a water bottle bandit who plants water bottles in your bag when you are going through airport security… Because I am not silly, I always make sure I am not carrying water
- Sleep chewing is far worse than snoring
- Not everybody is going to like you, and that is more than ok. Sometimes you just aren’t somebody’s flavour.
- Being able to admit your flaws and wrongs is a very admirable thing, especially if you have the balls to stand face to face with someone and do it.
- Filling your eyebrows in makes a hell of a difference to your face. Pre 25-year-old-Mon was an interesting looking thing…
- Staying fit isn’t just about finding the right work out for you, it is also about finding the right community of people to slot into too. I don’t think I could do 6.00am classes without the like minded humour of my coach, my bacon loving PR friend and the rest of the fun and supportive crew!
- That a ‘whip’, ‘nae nae’ and ‘dab’ are all ‘cool’ dance moves (ew.)
- If you don’t drink enough water, you inhibit your body’s ability to deal with inflammation
- Being upside down is one of the most relaxing things ever
- You should always take opportunities when they come your way – you never know what it could lead to
- Using a concoction of water and lavender oil while you are ironing helps to relax the fibres and get a cleaner finish on your clothes (thanks for that one Kevin!).
- ‘Whiskey’ is the American spelling, and ‘whisky’ is what all other countries use (another case of mum, mom and Mumm… tee hee).
- The world is a crazier place than I ever remember it being…
- I am the best at being me.
So, here is to being 26 and learning a whole lot more before my 27th birthday!